Google launched their EC2 competitor, Appengine yesterday, and all hell broke loose. And in about 24 hours, the 10,000 accounts were used up. Currently it is tied to only working with python, and Django 0.96.1 works out of the box.
- Python powered. Django works out of the box.
- No sysadmining chores.
- Promise of infinite scalability with no configuration. (Ah!)
- Free for now.
- Python powered, if you want to use ruby/java/php, sorry you are out of luck.
- Your code is tied to Google. You might be able to reuse most of your code, but the DB/ORM sepcific code, ah you are out of luck. And if you are building database backed websites, well most of your most complex code talk to ORM.
- Too magical. Explicit is better than implicit. On the dev server I do not know where my data is stored. If I change the data model, the changed models are available immediately. But well, how do you do it?
- Free for now, and no way to pay for when your usage out grows the free quota limits.
Thank you for reading the Agiliq blog. This article was writen by shabda on Apr 9, 2008 in python .
You can subscribe ⚛ to our blog.
We love building amazing apps for web and mobile for our clients. If you are looking for developmenrt help, contact us today ✉.
Would you like to download 10+ free Django and Python books? Get them here